Monday, June 30, 2008

Bubby's tummy trouble

Well it all began about a month ago after Bubby was diagnosed with strep throat. Besides the sore throat and fever he also complained about a sore tummy. The doctor said that it was common for children to experience stomach pain with strep and that it should disappear with the treatment of antibiotics. Well the sore throat went away but not the pain in his stomach. We decided to take the "wait and see" approach since he was not having any other issues other than a tummy ache. It seemed to bother him mostly at nap time and bedtime. We thought maybe because he was still and had no distractions that maybe it was just more noticeable to him. Anyway over the course of weeks the ache began to seem come more often and bothered him more. I decided to take him to a pediatric gastrologist this past Friday. We have PPO insurance and I thought I would just bypass the middleman (our primary doctor) and go for the source since I could. She recommended that we do a EGD and some biopsies on Monday and see what's going on since it's been going on for so long. A scope?! Wow I didn't expect that at all! Right off the bat I didn't like the idea of him being put to sleep for any reason! I told her that I needed to talk to my husband before making any decisions. She said that she wanted to go ahead and set things up and if we decided not to move forward with it we could just cancel Monday morning. I agreed but my plan was to get myself home and get on the internet and see if there was something I could try and maybe not have to put him through it. Well to shorten the story, it was a very bad weekend for Bubby. He was having alot of pain when lying down to sleep. I mean crying out in pain. It was awful! I ended up feeling like we had no other choice but to go ahead and get the scope done. So today at 1 we went to Medical City and had the procedure done. To my surprise it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and Bubby did great. He amazes me alot. He was not afraid at all. They let me stay with him until he went to sleep with some gas and then brought me back in before he woke up. He even said "lets go" when they put him on the gurney! They used this cherry scented mask for him to breath the gas. He himself gassed himself down! He held it over his nose until he fell asleep! He told me later that the cherry smell turned into rocket fuel! He is so funny.
I kind of had a light talk with him so he would know what to expect and not be too surprised.
So after all was done the doctor told me that she saw nothing abnormal but for some redness that indicates that there is some reflux. Again I was surprised that is all they found after watching him hurt so much this weekend. But VERY glad that was all they saw!They went ahead and took about three biopsies one from the upper and lower stomach and in the small intestines. We should find out about those later on this week. She prescribed some Prevacid for now to help with the acid reflux. Hope it works fast!
Daddy Dude and T-Bone came along. We were all there together as a family. We are all VERY tired and have not had much sleep this past weekend and of course it's been a bit tense waiting for today to come. Whew, I'm glad that's over!!!

1 comment:

The Joys of having Boys said...

Woo-Hoo for Bubby. What a brave boy!!